By default, your Profile holds some (very limited) important information about you necessary for use of the Members-Only area of the website (in the Base section). This information has all been set up for you and none of it is visible publicly.
When you have first logged in, you will have agreed to our Terms and Conditions and taken to the Welcome! page, then to the Members-Only landing page. Click the My Profile link in the sidebar, or the My Stuff button, then the My Profile link on that page (intended to make use on a mobile phone easier).
Editing Profile: Updating your Avatar and Cover Images
Now that you have changed your password, you are ready to update your profile. All of this is entirely optional, but it is nice to do at least some of the stuff, like updating your Avatar or Profile Photograph and adding a Cover Image (similar stuff to Facebook). Note that you can decide what data you wish to share with others (or not) – even after you have added stuff to your profile.
Entering Edit Mode
- To enter Edit mode, click the Edit button.
- Then Edit Profile will displayed showing information on the Base tab, which was generated from your joining information. See Editing Profile: Updating Fields, later, for info on those.
Updating Avatar / Profile Photograph
- Click the Change Profile Photo button. The screen should look like this.
- As the text says, if you have a gravatar associated with your email account, then the default ROC Member avatar set may already have been replaced with that.
- If you are using a device with a camera, like a smartphone, then you can use Take Photo, rather than Upload.
- If you are using a computer, then you can either click SELECT YOUR FILE and then browse to it to upload it, or drag and drop the photo from your File Explorer or whatever to drop it into the dashed square.
- When you have uploaded your Avatar photo, the Upload area will look like this.
- Drag the crop square to the top left.
- Then grab the bottom right-hand corner handle and make the square cover your whole image (normally).
- It should then look like this. If you are happy with it, click the CROP IMAGE button.
- The page should look something like this, with your Avatar in place and a confirmation message of success at the bottom.
Note: If you are not happy with the photo and have a different one, then just repeat the process.
Changing Cover Image
Ideally, you have already prepared an image of the recommended dimensions of at least 1300 pixels wide x 225 pixels tall (preferably with that aspect ratio).
- Click the Change Cover Image to start and, as before, drag and drop your image into the dashed square.
- This time, there is no crop, your image is displayed immediately. Here is a mermaid cover added to Anne’s profile.
Editing Profile: Updating Fields
- Enter Edit mode, as previously explained. Edit Profile will displayed showing information on the Base tab, which was generated from your joining information. Some things to note:
- The T&C Accepted? box will have the checkbox ticked already from when you clicked “Accept T&C” to enter the Members-Only area.
- Your Name is what is displayed for you in the Members-Only area of our website. If you have an Amateur Radio Callsign, this is put first, then First Name. If not, then ROC Membership Number, then First Name.
- Your Callsign on registration. If you have just gained a new one, please update that field and your Name one.
- Your ROC Mem. No. box. Please do not change this!
- Your First Name is what you gave on registration.
- Your Email address on registration. If you wish to update this, please update that field with your new email address.
NOTE: It is important to also contact the webmaster (currently Richard G4WKW) to let him now that you have updated your email, as an entry needs to be updated in the WP backend too, or notifications will still be sent to your old email address!
You are now finished with the (essential) Base part of your profile.
- Click the SAVE CHANGES button to save it. You will not be able to remove any data for Required fields, so (for example) if you deselected the tick in the checkbox for accepting Terms and Conditions, you will get this message to put the ✔ back, or you will not be able to save changes! (Admins excepted).
- Now click the Details sub-tab. The first two fields are your Full Name and DOB. It is good to enter both of these. You can always change who they are visible to afterwards.
- Your Full Name is more useful to others if they want to identify you on other social media like Facebook.
- Your DOB (even if hidden to others here) will post you in Upcoming Birthdays and may gain you birthday pressies, or at least birthday wishes, if not!
- I have entered them here for Anne.
- The next ones are Address, Post Code / Zip and Country. Again, this is useful to your added friends, even if you don’t want to display it to all members.
- When entering your Address, it is good to enter the full one on a single line, including post code / zip as that is easy to use in Google Maps, etc.
- Separate field for Post Code / Zip can be useful in some circumstances and helps to remind people to enter it.
- United Kingdom will normally be selected by default, but if you live abroad, please select your relevant Country from the drop-down list.
- Anne has done this 🙂
- So Anne has decided to share her address with just friends, so has clicked CHANGE alongside This field may be seen by: and she then clicks My Friends, then the CLOSE button.
- So Anne then click the SAVE CHANGES button below the fields on the details tab, then clicked the View tab at the top, instead of Edit. The illustration shows the view of G4WKW Richard’s Profile.
You will see that when in View mode, Details is not displayed as a sub-tab, but as a new section under Base, with the details just entered (followed by Biography and Interests, if and when you have entered any data for them).
If you look back at the picture for Step 1, above, you will see that there are two more tabs for your Profile: Biography and Interests. You enter the data in the same way as shown for the Details tab, above.