(ONLY visible to ROC Admins and WP Administrators)
IMPORTANT! – THIS INFORMATION NEEDS UPDATING AS NOT NOW NECESSARY FOR ROC EDITORS TO USE THE WORDPRESS EDITOR TO MODERATE MEMBER POSTS, AS THAT WORKS FINE IN BUDDYPRESS NOW.
Note: In this information I link to certain other pages, so if you follow the link to understand what I am referring to, please use your browser back button to come back here and continue reading afterward.
ROC Admin Account
I have written all about the different user level accounts in the information that I have written for ROC Editors (opens in new tab), so please read that first, before reading the extra information here specifically for ROC Admin user accounts. Here is an extract specifically about this type of account, for convenience:
An ROC Admin has all of the privileges of an ROC Member and ROC Editor, plus these extra ones:
- They will be able to access the WordPress Admin backend (or dashboard), to edit posts created by ROC members within the normal Members-Only area using the BuddyPress post creation (like ROC Editors), but able to access other administration stuff too.
- One main extra privilege of an ROC Admin is the ability to manage ROC Members (and ROC Editors) via the WP User part of the Admin panel. They are able to edit, add and delete users (although they should only do so if they are sure that they know what they are doing and are doing so on the authority of our Membership Secretary!).
- More important stuff regarding using the WP Editor later (I will do a separate page on it) .
- Although ROC Admins (and ROC Editors) have the privileges to create posts in the PUBLIC category, they should ONLY create them as drafts, so that the special G8ROC Administrator account can be used to publish them (when approved).
Of course, all of this stuff is subject to change, but that is what I envisage at the moment. I see the main two people on the ROC Committee to use ROC Admin accounts to be:
- Callum G5XDX as ROC Chairman. Mainly to keep an eye on membership activities, promote suitable people willing to act as ROC Editors and co-ordinate everything. Also to act as the main user to login using the G8ROC Administrator account (rather than his normal one) for the explicit purpose of posting PUBLIC ROC News items and new ROC Events, either that have been written by himself, or as a draft by another ROC Admin.
- Nigel M7NGL as (Membership) Secretary. Mainly to update the website Users as we get new members or people leave (or are outside the grace period for renewal of there subscription).
I do not see any real need for anyone else to need to be an ROC Admin, from a backend WordPress perspective, but from the club members point of view it might be an idea for all six committee members to be ROC Admins, just so that represents there club roles? I am perfectly open to change that, depending on the ROC committee decision. You may decide amongst yourselves that:
- Some of you may not wish to be ROC Admins and play no part in website admin, being quite happy to just have ROC Member user level access?
- You may know of a really good technical person who is an ROC Member who may be a great asset in helping with the website, either as an ROC Admin, or WP Administrator to assist me in developing stuff, regardless of whether or not he/she is on the ROC Committee?
My help learning ROC Admin stuff
I will be happy to come over to Callum G5XDX’s home to sit and go through all of the ROC Admin and G8ROC stuff with him, to make sure he is happy he can do everything.
The same goes for Nigel M7NGL regarding managing the User stuff. I could either come to your place, or perhaps you could join me at Callum’s home so I can go through the stuff with both of you together?
Again, I have no idea of your WordPress experience, if any? Even if you have never done anything before, I do not think that you will find it too difficult. Adding content and doing admin is far easier than developing functionality.
G8ROC Administrator Account
I will give the G8ROC Administrator account details only to Callum G5XDX so it is his decision (with the committee) who else has access to it to use.
As I have said, G8ROC is a special Administrator account mainly for creating (or publishing) draft posts in the PUBIC category that will appear in the News feed under the News main menu, or new PUBLIC Events that will appear under the Events calendar.