(also visible to ROC Admins)
IMPORTANT! – THIS INFORMATION NEEDS UPDATING AS NOT NOW NECESSARY FOR ROC EDITORS TO USE THE WORDPRESS EDITOR TO MODERATE MEMBER POSTS, AS THAT WORKS FINE IN BUDDYPRESS NOW.
Note: In this information I link to certain other pages, so if you follow the link to understand what I am referring to, please use your browser back button to come back here and continue reading afterwards.
ROC Editor Privileges and Roles
This page provides information for ROC Editors. If you are reading this, you are either a WordPress (WP) Site Administrator, ROC Admin or ROC Editor user type. It sets out the privileges and roles of an ROC Editor. If you need to know more, or have any questions, please contact Richard G4WKW or Callum G5XDX.
Why do I have this User Type?
By default, each of the six ROC Committee members are set as ROC Admins (although certain committee may choose to just ROC Editor or ROC Member user types). It does not mean that they are going to do ANY website Admin at all – just that they are able to should they wish/need to do so.
People with the ROC Editor user type, are those given that user type and role by an ROC Admin because they are willing and able to help with editing of the ROC website and judged suitable by the ROC Committee.
ROC User Types
It is important to understand the Public and three ROC User Types plus Administrator (WP Site) and reason for them underneath:
- Pubic (and logged-out members)
- ROC Member
- ROC Editor
- ROC Admin
- Administrator (WP site)
Public (and logged-out members)
A member of the general public (or a member of ROC who is not currently logged in).
They have NO access to ANY content within the ROC Members-Only Area, with one minor exception in that they are able to see the date/time and title of non-public, member-only Events posted in the public Events calendar (but none of the content of the event post).
Note: If there are ever to be a completely private members-only event necessary, or anything organised for the ROC committee, or a sub-committee, then don’t post about it on the Events calendar!
The vast majority of members of ROC are in the ROC Member user type. They will have access to nearly all of the Members-Only site content and use all of the facilities, with these exceptions:
- They have no access to certain menu items, pages (like this one) and certain member groups (like the groups for ROC Editors and ROC Admins).
- They have no access (normally) to the WordPress Admin backend (or dashboard), which will remain hidden to them. If they are a bit techie and type in the right URL, they would be able to see it, but unable to do anything as they don’t have the privileges to do anything.
- Although they are able to create a new post in either the Member Ideas or Member News categories (currently) that will be visible to all logged in members, they will not be able to edit it after they have posted it (although they can delete it).
An ROC Editor has all of the privileges of an ROC Member, plus these extra ones:
- They will be able to access the WordPress Admin backend (or dashboard), mainly to edit posts created by ROC members within the normal Members-Only area using the BuddyPress post creation editor (which unfortunately, does not allow editing after the post is created!).
- They will have the ability to create new “pretty” posts, using the WP Editor in block editor mode and include stuff not available in the old standard classic editor mode (more on that later).
- They will be members of the ROC Editors group (as well as ROC Admins), but not ROC Members.
- More important stuff regarding using the WP Editor later.
- Although ROC Editors have the privileges to create posts in the PUBLIC category, they should ONLY create them as drafts, so that the special G8ROC Administrator account can be used to publish them (when approved).
An ROC Admin has all of the privileges of an ROC Member and ROC Editor, plus these extra ones:
- They will be able to access the WordPress Admin backend (or dashboard), to edit posts created by ROC members within the normal Members-Only area using the BuddyPress post creation (like ROC Editors), but able to access other administration stuff too.
- One main extra privilege of an ROC Admin is the ability to manage ROC Members (and ROC Editors) via the WP User part of the Admin panel. They are able to edit, add and delete users (although they should only do so if they are sure that they know what they are doing and are doing so on the authority of our Membership Secretary!).
- More important stuff regarding using the WP Editor later.
- Although ROC Admins have the privileges to create posts in the PUBLIC category, they should ONLY create them as drafts, so that the special G8ROC Administrator account can be used to publish them (when approved).
Administrator (WP Site)
Needless to say, nobody should have an Administrator account unless they are trusted and know what they are doing. Although I have done some of “I will just try this…” on my test website, when I have done so it has been a knowing calculated risk, where when it fails and goes “tits up” I know exactly how to fix it (and would not do that on the main live website). The general rule should be if you are not sure what you are doing – don’t do it! Also having good backups is essential, for if you break the site!
I only see there being THREE Administrator accounts, going forward:
- G4WKW – Myself as Webmaster and website developer and maintainer. I will create an account with G4WKW as the username and delete my richard one.
- rich – Richard Brown who provides our current website hosting.
- G8ROC – A special Administrator account mainly for creating (or publishing) draft posts in the PUBIC category that will appear in the News feed under the News main menu, or new PUBLIC Events that will appear under the Events calendar.
- Although I am in reasonably good health, I am 70 years old and could have an accident or sudden illness and “kick the bucket” at any time, so it is important there is another full WP Administer account so that a new Administrator account can be created (or their current account upgraded) for the new webmaster to continue with the club website.
- I will give the G8ROC Administrator account details only to Callum G5XDX, so it is his decision (with the committee) who else other than him has access to it to use. I will provide more information on it under the special information page for ROC Admins Only (similar to this one).
Using the WP Editor
I will do a separate help page to describe how to use it, rather than include it here. I will link it to this and the ROC Admins page when I have done that.